My parents aside, during my formative years, the divorced couple I was most familiar with was Brenda and Eddie from Billy Joel’s Scenes From An Italian Restaurant. I’ve always loved that song. There are many attributes of the couple that I whole-heartedly admire:
- They were once crazy in love. And they admit it.
- They pay each other genuine compliments.
- They tried to make a go of it.
- They didn’t point fingers to explain their breakup.
- They had faith in each other after the separation.
- They grew individually as they went their separate ways.
- Years later, they can still meet for dinner.